Subject: Re: plug-and-no-play, grrrr.
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/2000 21:18:16
blymn@baesystems.com.au (Brett Lymn) writes:

> >The pnpbios stuff is complimentary to isapnp; pnpbios is used for
> >devices built in to the system (so that the firmware always knows
> >about them); isapnp is used for removable cards.
> >

> Hmmm interesting.  Obviously my motherboard has more PNP stuff on it
> than it is admitting to in the documentation.  I got quite a few PNP
> idstrings when I printed them out.

Many of the PNP strings are for motherboard resources that have been
in the same place forever and you're unlikely to want to change, like
the system clock, interrupt controller, ISA DMA controller, and so
on. It's sort of useful for the firmware to admit that they exist, but
they're not very interesting to document :)

        - Nathan