Subject: a note on recent pckbc/pckbd changes for rnd(4) support.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/2000 09:49:19
Recently, I enhanced the pckbc driver so that it can collect samples
for /dev/random.

pckbc is the "PC Keyboard Controller" driver, and is used on all i386,
and at least some alpha, arm32, bebox, and prep configurations.  It
provides an attachment point for the keyboard and PS/2 mouse.

I've gotten a couple bug reports, one of which was a real bug (since
fixed), and another which was likely due to header file skew and
incomplete build dependancies (it went away after a complete rebuild).

To save other folks who run into this some time:

If a pckbc-using kernel you've built in the past few days has run into
trouble during boot, please do the following:

 - ensure that you have rev 1.4 (or later) of sys/dev/ic/pckbc.c
 - blow away your kernel build directory and rebuild from scratch.

"make depend" *should* have caught this, but make only looks at
relative file modification times, and can easily be confused if you
use sup or source tarballs to update your source tree (since both sup
and tar copy the file modification times from the origin).

					- Bill