Subject: Re: rpcbind trouble - Linux cannot mount nfs
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2000 22:40:04
On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 03:47:29AM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> That's likely because the Linux client wants to use TCP by default,
> and there was a bug in the backward-compatibility code for server-side
> TCP. I just fixed it, if you update src/lib/libc/rpc/rpc_soc.c (to
> version 1.5) things should work again.

FWIW, NIS was also partly broken until this change...

However... FWIW, there's still something wrong. Unfortunately, I'm unable
to test anything other than NetBSD, since I have nothing else around, but
my master NIS server can't seem to accept password change requests from
systems that don't have the new rpcbind stuff.

On all systems, ypcat now works. (Until the rpc_soc.c fix, it didn't
work anywhere.) On two systems that have rpcbind, I can change passwords.
However, on one system running 1.4.2 and one system running -current
from December, I can't change passwords.

My assumption is that other non-NetBSD systems of various sorts will no
longer be able to change passwords in NIS... (I used the -L and -i flags,
incidentally, with no change.)

--
   Mason Loring Bliss   mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us              E w i g e
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  B l u m e n k r a f t