Subject: Re: Lost clock interrupts in 1.4Z
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/2000 23:38:20
On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 02:45:31AM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> >
> > I see things like "time reset 15.640742 s" in the log file when running
> > heavy network tests.
>
> This is a message from ntpd, rigth ? Maybe it's just that ntp lost sync
> messages because of the heavy network tests (I didn't look at the sources
> so I'm not sure what this really means :)

You know, it may not be lost interrupts at all, but rather, an asymetric
latency in the network or in the network driver that destablized ntp
during the network tests. If that's the case, it would be obvious from
looking at the round-trip trip column in the output of "ntpq -c pe",
during the tests. [Large increases due to heavy load or heavy i/o on the
machine running ntpd are not generally symetric.] Sometime after things
settled down, the daemon would correct by stepping the clock.

fredb