Subject: Re: New RPC code added to the tree: how to upgrade
To: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/2000 06:50:35
I have similar problem.  All attempts to run rpcinfo to my local
rpcbind daemon result in

"rpcinfo: can't contact rpcbind: : RPC: Authentication error; why =
Client credential too weak"

I'm running rpcbind with -lL and my hosts.all contains

	.whooppee.com LOCAL

(this lets everything in my local net connect to anything)

/p

On 4 Jun 2000, Geoff Wing wrote:

> Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl> typed:
> :On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 11:14:10PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
> :>      Will this allow us to use to do hosts.allow and hosts.deny style
> :> authentication ala Wietse Venema's replacement program?  I don't care
> :> if the mechanism is different, just whether or not it exists.
> :Yes, that mechanism is still present. Of course, you'll have to
> :replace "portmap" with "rpcbind" in the hosts.* files.
>
> I had a problem with this (source from anoncvs about 3-4 hours ago &
> did a make build).  Two network cards on my machine: A.B.C.D & E.F.G.H
>
> from /etc/hosts.allow:
> 	rpcbind: 127.0.0.1, A.B.C., E.F.G.
> from /etc/hosts.deny:
> 	rpcbind: ALL
>
> Invoked as: rpcbind -l
> Lots of:
> 	rpcbind: connect from local to unset(yppasswdd): request from unauthorized host
> type messages.  All rpc based services: nfsd, etc. carked it.
> Removed the lines from /etc/hosts.allow & /etc/hosts.deny and I can
> use it again.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>     Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/
> Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>      Ego URL : http://pobox.com/~gcw/
> Zsh Stuff  : <gcw@zsh.org>       Phone   : (Australia) 0413 431 874

|   Paul Goyette  | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer|  BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| & kernel hacker |  91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |