Subject: Re: curses!
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/2000 20:28:58
According to Patrick Welche:

>> This does not set $SHELL so tset was emitting the incorrect commands for
>> the shell.  Try setting $SHELL appropriately and see what happens.
>
>That fixes the reverse video problem! lynx/mutt/elm all happy with /bin/sh

Cool - that definitely indicates the truncated termcap was the
problem.  BTW did you recompile lynx/mutt/elm when you did the update?
I suspect you did not - I made a change to libtermcap so that it would
ignore a TERMCAP environment variable if it had a ZZ in it.  It sounds
like your things were not doing this.

>It doesn't fix the delete problem...

Hmmm how do you remap your delete key?  Did you use an xterm option
for this?

>Indeed, reverse video happy in sh - then again, I don't know that it was
>broken before, and any idea on how to get this to work in csh?

I have an idea but it is not pretty.  The word size limit in csh is
set at BUFSIZ which happens to be 1024 bytes.  The not pretty bit is
working out what references the word buffer and ensure that all the
range checking is done properly.  Anyone who likes csh (oh, and tcsh
as well) enough is most welcome to have a stab at this....

The only other option I can think of at the moment is chopping the
termcap entry back to 1024 bytes but that would preclude using colour
and other such things because we would simply be unable to make it all
fit.