Subject: i386 snapshot panics all the time
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/2000 21:15:30
Hello,

I installed the May 28 snapshot on a pentium class machine (Cyrix, actually)
from scratch.  The install went ok (except that the screen output was
corrupted, like \r's were missing somewhere), but when I NFS mount a disk
to this system and try to build pkgs, I get panics all the time.  Here's one:

kernel: page fault trap, code=0
Stopped at pmap_zero_page_uncached+0x48: repe stosl %es:(%edi)
db> t
pmap_zero_page_uncached(1388000,0,7fffffff,c34e87c8,c34e87c8) at
pmap_zero_page_uncached+0x48
uvm_pageidlezero(e000ffe7,c34e87c8,0,7fffffff,c019eec0) at uvm_pageidlezero+0x8c
idle(c34e87c8) at idle+0x1b
bpendtsleep(c06904c0,18,c03e9a20,0,c34dac58) at bpendtsleep
sbwait()..
soreceive()..
nfs_receive()..
nfs_reply()..
nfs_request()..
nfs_removerpc()..
nfs_remove()..
sys_unlink()..
syscall() at syscall+0x21b
--- syscall (number 10) ---
0x805f937:

I'm using the default kernel installed by sysinst.  This same panic seems
to occur almost every time I try to build a pkg (I managed to build
pkginstall and pkglibtool, but that took three reboots already).  I think
it has always been the same instruction causing the panic (at least it's
been the same routine every time).

This machine was rock solid with 1.4.2 (I was running X and doing compiles
on it), so I think it's some kind of a software problem.

Any ideas?  I don't think I could even build a kernel on this system (and
all my other machines are running 1.4.2 or older).

Thanks,

  -jm