Subject: hints on getting -current behind a firewall
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/2000 03:22:19
Can somebody give me a few hints/pointers on how to get from 1.4.2
to -current when I'm on the other side of a firewall?

I've seen many messages about sup and cvs go past.  I think I understand
the general ideas but I have never used either.  I don't know any
details so most of the messages when over my head.  I don't remember
any that mentioned firewalls but I could easily have missed it.

I'm interested in both i386 and alpha.  I think I'd be happy with
recent snapshots if they included sources.

The machines I'm interested in won't run a stock kernel - they run
out of mbufs because I have too many network devices.  I could yank
some boards and get started by installing a snapshot, but that's
a pain-in-the-ass that I'd rather avoid and I still need the kernel
sources to build a useful kernel.

gatekeeper.dec.com has a mirror of NetBSD.  It's got an interface
on the internal net and I have a good connection to that.  Can I
just FTP the source tree over and go from there?  If so, how do I
get ftp to copy a tree?  (I just made yet another pass through the
man page and didn't find it.)

If I get a new kernel built, will the 1.4.2 userland work well enough
to unpack a snapshot?  Or is that asking for troubles?