Subject: Re: What's wrong with procfs?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/2000 18:25:33
In message <p0432032cb555e7b8445a@[165.227.249.13]>, Paul Hoffman writes:
>Having sup'd this morning, I now notice that "ps -ax" returns:
>
>ps: proc size mismatch (14668 total, 756 chunks).
>ps: statfs on /proc failed: No such file or directory
>ps: fallback /proc-based lookup also failed.  Giving up...
>
>(This may have existed for a while...) Why is this? What can I do to
>get around it?

This means your kernel is out of date with respect to your userland, or vice
versa.  The "correct" fix is to remake libkvm, kvm_mkdb, and ps, and re-run
kvm_mkdb with /netbsd pointed to the kernel you're actually booted from.

As a workaround, you can mount /proc, and ls will then go read from it.

-s