Subject: Re: have there been any "recent" resolver fixes?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/2000 00:49:56
[ On Thursday, May 25, 2000 at 13:07:18 (+0900), itojun@iijlab.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: have there been any "recent" resolver fixes?
>
> 	to switch to BIND8 resolver, we really need a major # bump in libc.
> 	also,

Oh, of course...

>           we need a serious effort to make it behave in at least backward
> 	compatible manner (like nsswitch.conf).

I'm not sure what "backward compatibility" you're seeking here.....

A quick glance at resolv.conf(5) and resolver(3) from the most recent
BIND-8 distribution shows that it still supports all the old stuff as
well as some new stuff except for the one *BSD feature change that
NetBSD has already deprecated itself (that being the "lookup" keyword).

the only "major" work I forsee is the actual integration with nsswitch,
but though I've not looked at that code yet I was under the impression
that this wouldn't be that big of a deal....

There's also the gradual migration of all user-land networking code to
use the new improved resolver API...

>            I don't think we can
> 	do it before 1.5 branching.

bummer.  I think bind-9 should be out by then though so we can hopefully
just go straight to it and skip bind-8's resolver all together!

--
							Greg A. Woods