Subject: Re: copying entire directory to another filesystem
To: Jeremy C. Reed <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Mocha <netbsd_alpha@yahoo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/2000 03:01:18
At 12:33 AM 5/23/00 -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>On Tue, 23 May 2000, mocha wrote:
>
> > 1. how do i move a _directory_ from one filesystem to another and keep all
> > the same owner, permissions? 'cp -R' seems really slow.
>
>Same owner, permissions, etc. use "-p" also. Yes it is very slow for me
>also.
>
>Also do:
>   man cpio
>   man tar
>   man cp

i did man them.. understanding how to use them is another thing *laughs* i
can paint, sculpt, etc, but when it comes to reading man pages, my mind
just go blank.

sometimes asking how people do something i get rather interesting 'tricks'
that i wouldn't have never thought of. i rather like pax and dump, but as
of yet, i'm still stuck on all those switches ;-)

>You may be able to do something like this:
>   cd /directory-of-original-filesystem
>   tar cpf - * | (cd /path/to/new/filesystem ; tar xpf -)
>
>(You could/should try this with a few small directories.)
>
>I don't know if this is faster than cp -Rp but I'd like to know.
>
> > 2. how do i move an entire filesystem to another and keep owner and
> > permission the same? (maybe same as #1? or maybe do some kind of image
> > copy?) filesystem aren't necessarily the same size (probably moving to a
> > bigger filesystem).
>
>man dd

good one. i forgot about that.

>Mocha, I am not sure, but I think your questions should be posted to a
>different mailing list.

i'm just on this one, and i the alpha list. i think there is a netbsd-help
list too or some' like that. but i didn't want to subscribe to ask 2
questions. and then unsubscribe again. but you are right, i think this list
is for -current discussions.

Thanks for your help.