Subject: Re: /var/db/pkg
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@ftp.netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/2000 00:54:22
> In message <20000522133451.A15597@noc.untraceable.net>, Andrew Brown writes:
> >>Shouldn't this be /usr/pkg/var/db/pkg?
>
> >i think /usr/pkg/etc/pkg would be better, but that's just me...
>
> Either way, I think it should be in /usr/pkg.  In an ideal world, a tarball
> of /usr/pkg should be self-contained and portable.

If you feel strongly enough about this, I suggest you set the environment
variable PKG_DBDIR to be somewhere under ${PREFIX}.

To quote from the pkg_info(1) man page:

ENVIRONMENT
     PKG_DBDIR  The standard package database directory, /var/db/pkg, can be
                overridden by specifying an alternative directory in the
                PKG_DBDIR environment variable.

I know of a number of developers who set this.

Regards,
Alistair