Subject: Re: copying entire directory to another filesystem
To: mocha <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/2000 00:33:07
On Tue, 23 May 2000, mocha wrote:

> 1. how do i move a _directory_ from one filesystem to another and keep all
> the same owner, permissions? 'cp -R' seems really slow.

Same owner, permissions, etc. use "-p" also. Yes it is very slow for me
also.

Also do:
  man cpio
  man tar
  man cp

You may be able to do something like this:
  cd /directory-of-original-filesystem
  tar cpf - * | (cd /path/to/new/filesystem ; tar xpf -)

(You could/should try this with a few small directories.)

I don't know if this is faster than cp -Rp but I'd like to know.

> 2. how do i move an entire filesystem to another and keep owner and
> permission the same? (maybe same as #1? or maybe do some kind of image
> copy?) filesystem aren't necessarily the same size (probably moving to a
> bigger filesystem).

man dd

Mocha, I am not sure, but I think your questions should be posted to a
different mailing list.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net