Subject: Re: /var/db/pkg
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@pdc.kth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 05/22/2000 21:22:10
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:

> >>Either way, I think it should be in /usr/pkg.  In an ideal world, a tarball
> >>of /usr/pkg should be self-contained and portable.
> >
> >portable?  if you mean portable modulo endianness and architecture,
> >then yes.  otherwise, no.
>
> Agreed; I just mean between machines.  It should be fairly rational
> to tarball /usr/pkg on one system, untar it on another, and expect
> success.  Currently, the result is bogus unless you also move some
> of /var/db.

Speaking of which: to me it's bogus with an ".install_done" file in
the pkgsrc work-directory. Whether a package is installed or not is
recorded in /var/db/pkg (or possibly /usr/pkg/ wrt to the above
discussion), not in the source/build tree.

The rest of the status files, like .build_done etc, are fine, it's
just the .install_done that annoys me.

Regards,

Johan Ihrén, <johani@pdc.kth.se>,
phone: +46 (8) 790 6844, Center for Parallel Computers,
Royal Institute of Technology, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden