Subject: Re: Backspace key in X
To: None <dave@dtsp.co.nz>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/14/2000 01:44:32
>Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 12:49:27 +1200
>From: Dave Sainty <dave@dtsp.co.nz>
>
>maximum entropy writes:
>
>> On my -current i386 system with -current xsrc, I can no longer produce
>> a configuration where the backspace key behaves te way I want.  My
>> requirements are:
>>
>> - The backspace key must send a delete character (^?).  I use emacs as
>>   my editor, so ^H is not an option.
>>
>> - The stty mode for my X terminals must reflect that setting.
>>
>> - The backspace key must continue to send ^? when I run screen within
>>   an xterm.
>
>The xmodmap fixes will work, but sometimes have undesired effects on
>other X applications.  Given that you really only want to change
>xterm, adjusting the xterm configuration is (I think) more
>appropriate.
>
>I use:
>
>XTerm.vt100.translations: #override\n\
>	Meta <Key> BackSpace:	string(0x1b) string(0x7f)\n\
>	~Meta <Key> BackSpace:	string(0x7f)

Actually, after my "make build" finished, I discovered that screen no
longer worked at all.  It complained that the TERMCAP entry
overflowed, and then died.  I quickly realized that all my lossage was
caused by the recent change in the xterm termcap entry.  I now have
the following in my .Xdefaults, and everything works perfectly for me
again:

XTerm*ttyModes:                 erase ^?
XTerm*backarrowKey:             false
XTerm*termName:                 xterm-r6

I think it's really really bad that our default xterm termcap entry
will cause major applications like screen to fail to run.

Cheers,
entropy