Subject: Re: ntp and pps
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/12/2000 16:26:12
jonl@yubyub.net (Yubyub bird) writes:
> And this is without hardpps()... it works pretty darn well, and I'm
> expecting that once we get over this hurdle, it will improve a small bit,
> too.  This is using one of Dave Schwartz's GPSClock 200's (no affiliation
> at all with him, but it's a very nice low cost unit for NTP purposes).

Thanks for the pointer to gpsclock 200.  The online specs for it are
kind of underwhelming though:

        from: http://www.gpsclock.com/specs.html
                Timing accuracy:
                                Plus or minus 1 microsecond
                                to UTC
                cost $375

Good gps clocks are now in the 100's of nanoseconds or better.  Most
random $100 - $200 OEM boards are this range. A good survey of the OEM
board market is at:

        http://home-2.worldonline.nl/~samsvl/oemtable.htm

I recently picked up a motorola oncore M12 for the introductory price
of $100. (w. antenna, wall-wart power supply, 2 rs-232 port and 1
rs-232 cable, no case though.  It is just a plain card.)  Even off
special this package is only $200.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>