Subject: Re: ntp and pps
To: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/12/2000 14:55:54
On Fri, 12 May 2000, Andreas Wrede wrote:

> I am trying to use a GPS clock with ntp 4 in -current on a i386
> platform.
>
> 1. Configuring ntp.conf with
> pps /dev/gps0 assert hardpps
> server 127.127.20.0 prefer
>
> gets me
>
> ntpd 4.0.99i Tue May  9 00:20:10 EDT 2000 (1)
> using kernel phase-lock loop 0001
> refclock_ioctl: time_pps_kcbind failed: Bad address
> refclock_open: fd 10 ioctl failed: Bad address
> configuration of 127.127.20.0 failed

Same thing.  I ran into this a while ago, using a gpsclock 200 as the
source.  Check the netbsd-help archive...

I've sent off errors and such to jonathan@netbsd.org, who did most [all?]
of the ppsapi and ntp enhancements for -current.  I think he's got very
little copious spare time (tm), so I'm digging around in the mean time.

FWIW, I did some commenting out, and my clock is sync'ed up pretty
nicely.  I can send you the patches I made against 4.0.99i of ntp, if
you'd be interrested.  Note that it doesn't use hardpps(), but it still
works great on my ss5, 1.4.2.

[snip]

-Jon
 "There is no fourth tower of Inverness!!!" -Meatball Fulton