Subject: Re: The new rc.d stuff... [now rc.conf]
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/2000 14:10:03
On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 08:52:55PM +0200, S.P.Zeidler wrote:
> If you have to locate the source of and fix a problem on a "foreign"
> machine, i.e. one not usually administered by you, where will you have
> less trouble finding out what that machine actually boots with and with
> what options it gets started, rc.d or rc.conf? I'm happier with rc.conf;
> rc.d is nice if you have a boatload of similar machines -and a
> knowledgeable admin-, but not at all when you're playing fireman on a
> system that has seen too many admins with too little clue, leaving a messy
> heap that's a miracle to be doing anything useful (let alone vital to a
> company).

You're going to have this problem anyway if you administer more than one
kind of machine. Not all the world is NetBSD, after all. NetBSD is different
from FreeBSD is different from Linux is different from Solaris is different
from SunOS is different from HP-UX is different from Tru64 Unix is different
from AIX is different from IRIX is different from...well, you get the
picture.

You're going to have to go hunting for the place to tweak *anyway*. There's
no way at all to make life easier on the fireman simply because he's gotta
learn the floorplan of the house every time.

Hint: grep is your friend.