Subject: Re: v6 (was Re: -current sendmail cancer in IPv4-only kernel)
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/08/2000 12:23:02
>1.  Do ATM or ISO OSI attempt to deal with the limited address space in
>    which we currently live?
>
>2.  Are we not running the ISO stack in networking right now?  I thought
>    the "old" TCP/IP stack had already been phased out (I can hear it
>    already:  "Gods, NO!  Where have you been?").  Never mind :-)
>
>    Just as well.  The ISO stack is really a nine-layer model with
>    "Bureaucracy" and "Finance" as the top two layers in the stack...
>
>And given that IPv6 is the only one that appears to me to be dealing with
>address space issues, and the only one which is really being pushed out
>there, I'm placing my bet on IPv6.  It's probably better thought out
>than either of the other two mentioned.

i think (i don't pretend to know all that much about the iso stuff or
atm, but i am reading) that one *MAJOR* difference between atm and ip
(and maybe iso as well) is that that ipv6 works with *all* the
existing hardware that's already doing ipv4.  iso and atm require
other hardware.  that seems like major selling point to me.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|