Subject: Re: recommendations for 802.11 DS 2.4 GHz 11Mb cards?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/08/2000 21:52:58
According to Martin Husemann:

>Mine too, albeit differently ;-) A bit too early for cardbus?

Don't know.  I may just try frightening the thing with a kgdb session
one day....

>But re: the wavelan cards: I can't hardly imagine any dump PCMCIA adapter
>card to limit the transferrate to about 500kBit/s. But I didn't think of
>this and didn't try to optimize BIOS settings for this, maybe it's doing
>several io recovery wate states after each access to the WaveLAN card.

I cannot recall seeing any tweaks like that in my bios but the BIOS on
the laptop I have (Toshiba Tecra 700CT) doesn't let you do much.  You
may be luckier.  There has to be some explanation for why we have this
bottleneck.

>This would certainly be avoided by any kind of PCI adapter.

Yes.  This may be why cardbus is better to - on my laptop the cardbus
is attached to the PCI bus whereas the pcic is on ISA, viz:

[blymn@rover] prtconf
System is a i386 architecture on a Intel Pentium (P54C) (586-class)
  with 16384000 bytes of physical memory, 16154624 bytes is non-kernel
memory

mainbus0
   pci0
      pchb0 (device = 0, function = 0)