Subject: Re: -current sendmail cancer in IPv4-only kernel
To: <>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/2000 13:32:54
--------
In message <20000507212058.A26263@wins.uva.nl>,
Frank van der Linden writes:

>On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 11:53:07AM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>> Errr, no, we must *not* assume Ipv6. Default configuration files must
>> continue to work on IPv4-only systems.
>
>We should assume whatever's in GENERIC.

Previous discussion reached a consensus that IPv4-only configs should
Just Work on IPv4-only setups.  To me, that says the above is wrongt.

If you go through the trouble of
>editing out the INET6 option of your config file, it's not unreasonable
>to expect that you might have to edit a few more config files. After
>all, INET6 is scheduled to be the default in the future.

I disagree. I think it's entirely unreasonable.  NetBSD has no
business forcing IPv6 down everyone's throats.

The big problem with the approach you suggest is that the search for
what to change is completely unbounded.  we need *one* knob, or at
most two (one for kernel, one for userland): turn that knob to the
desired setting and things should Just Work.

Anything less is sabotage. IMHO.