Subject: IPv6 Networking question
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2000 20:36:23
I'm trying to play with IPv6 and didn't manage to read the thick book yet,
so please excuse me if this is a silly question:

I have to systems running NetBSD-current, bot equipped with a Lucent WaveLAN
card and an ethernet card.

I would like to route the (IPv4 only) subnets the ethernet cards are attached
to through this WaveLAN connection. For security (and fun playing around
with this stuff) I'm trying to make the WaveLAN connection an IPv6/IPSec
encrypted connection.

So I entered IPv6 addresses into /etc/ifconfig.wi0 on both sides:
one is

	inet6 fce0::2

and the other

	inet6 fce0::5

Now ping6 works. First question: what else (besides enabling IPSec in
the kernel, which I did) does it need to have this IPv6 connection encrypted?

Now, to route the IPv4 networks between both systems I tried to use the gif
tunnel device and did

ifconfig gif0 inet 192.168.1.1

and

ifconfig gif0 inet 192.168.1.2

respectively. Now I need the outer IPv6 addresses for the tunnel and tried

gifconfig gif0 inet6 fce0::2 fce0::5

but this failed. Other IPv6 addresses fail too.

So second question: what's the magic to create the tunnel?

Martin