Subject: Re: sendmail and netbsd
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2000 16:51:48
On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 10:14:39AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE> writes:
> > The latest "official" release is
> > "Postfix Beta 19991231 Patch 5"
>
> You're already wrong here. First, whatever the site may say, Wietse
> doesn't call the code Beta and hasn't in a year. The latest release,
Oh, he has.  See below.

> and it isn't a beta, is patch level six, not patch five. Ask Wietse if
Yes, sorry. It's Patchlevel 06. But it is beta.

Maybe the mirror I used was one patch behind... (or I misstyped
from lynx in one ttyE to mutt/vim in the other...)

> you don't believe me about the Beta thing.
I don't want to annoy Wietse with such things. :-)

Some digging on the web and in the mail archives is enough

To quote his personal ftp-server he actively maintains
( ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/mirrors/postfix-release/index.html -
This is the official "download page" for postfix ):

[...]
Official releases

Complete source code to the last official release. All Postfix source code
is signed with Wietse's PGP public key.

     Postfix Beta 19991231 Patchlevel 06 Source | PGP signature | Release notes
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]

The file is dated  March 30, 2000 (time of the last "official" release).
I'm pretty sure Wietse has written/is maintaining that page himself..

Even more clear is this mail from Wietse to the postfix-users mailinglist:
(<4 months - i.e. less than a year old):

  From: Wietse Venema  <wietse@p...>
  Date: Wed Jan 12, 2000 2:31pm
  Subject: Re: postfix beta

 | Levente Farkas:
 | > hi,
 | > when will be a postfix release (I mean non beta release)?
 |
 | When it is ready.
 |
 | I remind you that nowadays, a lot of software is released before
 | it is finished - in my opinion, dividing the version number by 10
 | can give a more realistic indication of maturity.
(An archived version of that mail is available here:
http://www.egroups.com/message/postfix-users/10403?&start=9823 )

Sorry! This is absolutely offtopic, but I don't like it when somebody says
I'm wrong when I'm not :-)

Can we end this thread now?
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.