Subject: Re: sendmail and netbsd
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2000 08:29:35
On Tue, 02 May 2000 01:54:32 +1000  Robert Elz wrote:

> Sendmail is very general, and used to need to be.  These days there's
> much less need, just about everyone, everywhere, uses pure 822 style
> addressing.

Sendmail is very general at *header rewriting*.  If the problem you're
trying to solve falls outside this model it is not nearly so flexible.

> For most people, this flexibility is no longer needed, and sendmail
> can be overkill - but it is still good to have it around on the
> off chance that something arises that needs more than trivial address
> conversions.

Along with this useful functionality comes a number of limitations;
like everything it is a tradeoff.

I suppose we're getting off topic again, and I've criticised sendmail
volubly in the past so I'll go back to lurking now. :-)

Regards,

Giles