Subject: Re: sendmail and netbsd
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/2000 17:51:30
On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:26:12AM -0500, Jay Maynard wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 11:02:29AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > Thanks, but no thanks.  I can do pretty much whatever I need to with a
> > sendmail.cf file -- but because it's difficult for NO GOOD REASON, I choose
> > not to.
>
> Amen. I don't do sendmail.cf for most of the same reasons I don't do COBOL.
Nobody has to "do sendmail.cf". Nowadays sendmail.cf is just a metafile.
Do m4 yourconfig.mc > sendmail.cf.

Editing sendmail.cf by hand is like hacking [s]passwd.db manually
instead of using vipw/pwd_mkdb.

> That said, is there a replacement that 1) provides *all* of the same
> functionality as sendmail, including stuff like RBL, procmail, fetchmail,
> and other highly useful programs? Just because I hate sendmail.cf doens't
> mean that I don't use sendmail's capabilities.

I like and use sendmail *and* postfix both (just look into the header :-).
I like postfix modular design and it's security concepts, but in comparison
to sendmail I must say (my personal views of course):

- postfix is absolutely *!!!NOT!!!* easier to configure
- postfix is not nearly as flexible as sendmail
And there are some reasons why there are still only "beta" releases and
snapshots of postfix so far...

That's why we still have sendmail on our hub and will stay with it for the
next time.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.