Subject: Re: sendmail and netbsd
To: None <jmaynard@texas.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/2000 11:34:56
On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:26:12AM -0500, Jay Maynard wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 11:02:29AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > Thanks, but no thanks.  I can do pretty much whatever I need to with a
> > sendmail.cf file -- but because it's difficult for NO GOOD REASON, I choose
> > not to.
>
> Amen. I don't do sendmail.cf for most of the same reasons I don't do COBOL.
>
> That said, is there a replacement that 1) provides *all* of the same
> functionality as sendmail, including stuff like RBL, procmail, fetchmail,
> and other highly useful programs? Just because I hate sendmail.cf doens't
> mean that I don't use sendmail's capabilities.

procmail and fetchmail aren't part of sendmail, they're separate programs.

RBL support appeared in most other mailers *before* it was added to sendmail.

Sendmail is hardly the holy grail of mailer functionality.  In fact, it
usually lags behind the times until its users scream loud enough for its
maintainers to hear their pain.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"