Subject: Re: amanda and filesystems bigger than tape
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/2000 21:21:07
On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 10:32:28PM +1000, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> In a discussion some time ago, on whether to use or not use hardware
> compression with amanda, the concensus was not to.
>
> So... I have a DDS1 tape, that will hold 2G native, and a 4G
> filesystem which is 90% full.  For a while now amanda has been giving
> up on full dumps as they would not fit on the one tape I allow for the
> overnight backups.
>
> So I setup a different config allowing multiple tapes, but amanda
> still skipped the big fs saying it was bigger than the tape.
>
> Does amanda not handle using multiple tapes for a single fs?

No. ALthough I read on the TODO that is being worked on.

> Perhaps I need some magic in my config?

You need to tell Amanda to compress. I guess you did that.

Now, the problem is, that DDS2 tapes dont hold 4G, but only about 3.3G. SImilar
might apply to DDS1. Amanda users all over the world have contributed to
Amanda's database of real tape parameters, so it knows about it.

Regards,
	-is