Subject: re: build whacked from bsd.prog.mk change?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/2000 19:12:15

   I'm still curious why other BSDs don't see this issue with ld but between
   your fix and mine I'm building again.
   --Chuck

OK, here's the deal.

originally, mycroft changed this to use -R$DESTDIR/usr/lib, because he
was seeing problems with build-time linkage of `make build' while
cross compiling, because the linker was also looking in /usr/lib (or
something).  the problem is that -R causes the resulting binary to
contain this path, which is very much not wanted and has the potential
for serious lossage that using a $DESTDIR is supposed to avoid.  the
solution to this is to use -rpath-link, the path of which is only used
at link-time, and is not written into the binary.  old NetBSD ld had
"support" for -rpath, and this support caused it to accept a -rpath-link
option, but it did not also notice the argument passed.  (i will note
that old NetBSD ld does not support the -rpath or -rpath-link options
truly, it merely accepts them and moves on, "hoping that ld.so.conf
will cover our sins".  this is gross and disgusting but so is using that
vintage ld(1) in NetBSD :-).