Subject: Re: mozilla maintainer wanted
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Stephen Brown <scbrown@netscape.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2000 12:42:56
--------------42C10276CA1C60859EC61339

Duh! It was the per-user limits.  Now I feel stupid.  But, the build is
churning away again.  I'm not sure if the numbers from "top" are
accurate(it was built under an earlier version of current, etc). but
assuming they are, the "ld" process gets huge in a mozilla build:

load averages:  1.66,  1.76,  1.22                                      12:37:16

34 processes:  2 running, 32 sleeping
CPU states:  2.5% user,  0.0% nice,  3.0% system,  0.0% interrupt, 94.5% idle
Memory: 35M Act, 17M Inact, 228K Wired, 860K Free, 24M Swap, 106M Swap free

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE   RES STATE   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
12787 root      -6    0    71M  323M sleep   1:23  9.08%  9.08% ld

I'll let everyone know if the beast actually works once it finally finishes
building...

Steve

Brad Spencer wrote:

>    I seem to have gotten fairly far on the NetBSD/macppc side by creating
>    symlinks from "lib*.so" to the "lib*.so.1.0" everytime it stops like this
>    and then starting "gmake" again(kind of tedious though).  I noticed
>    a variable in the configure script, "NEED_BASE_DLL_NAME_ALSO",
>    that seems to be supposed to address this, but it doesn't occur in any
>    of the Makefiles.  Setting it seems to make no difference.
>
>    Anyway, my efforts seem to be stymied by lack of memory:
>
>    nsHTMLAttributes.o: could not read symbols: Memory exhausted
>    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>    gmake[2]: *** [libraptorhtml.so.1.0] Error 1
>    gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/mozilla/layout/build'
>    gmake[1]: *** [install] Error 2
>    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/mozilla/layout'
>    gmake: *** [install] Error 2
>
>    This kind of seems odd, though as I have 64MB of real memory, of which top
>    claims 47MB are free.  I also have plenty of free swap:
>
>    schizo# swapctl -l
>    Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Priority
>    /dev/sd1b      132462        0   132462     0%    0
>
>    This is on NetBSD 1.4X from the April 15 tar files.
>
>    Steve
>
>    p.s.  I also wound up forcing the "NO_LD_ARCHIVE_FLAGS" variable
>        in configure as otherwise I wound up with "undefined reference" errors
>        on linking.  Not sure what is up there.
>
> I'v never seen anything like the above on NetBSD/i386 when trying to do
> the builds.  What is the user process limits on the user that is
> attempting to build Mozilla???
>
> Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
> [finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]

--------------42C10276CA1C60859EC61339

begin:vcard
n:Brown;Stephen
tel;cell:(650)444-6750
tel;home:(408)278-1393
tel;work:(650)937-6689
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Netscape Communications Corp.;Internal Computing
adr:;;501 E. Middlefield Rd.;Mountain View;CA;94043;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:Stephen_Brown@netscape.com
title:UNIX Systems Administrator
x-mozilla-cpt:;728