Subject: Re: rc.d (Was Re: run levels (was Re: The new rc.d stuff...))
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2000 00:47:47
>Since init already restarts processes that exit adding the ability to
>manage long-running daemons to init doesn't really require any change at
>all (you can fake it today in fact), and certainly doing so won't
>increase the complexity of the program at all (and will only shake up
>the reliability for the duration of the change).  All that's really
>necessary is to clean up the syntax of /etc/ttys a bit and to rename the
>file so that it doesn't mislead anyone (/etc/init.conf perhaps?).

i think the /etc/ttys file should sty where it is, and the way it is.
it's for ttys.  that makes sense.  and, whereas adding init.conf would
be fine (for me at least), adding it under a slightly different name
(eg inittab) would probably raise a few hackles.

ttys for ttys.  other file for other things.  lots of daemons use more
than one config file.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|