Subject: Re: rc.d (Was Re: run levels (was Re: The new rc.d stuff...))
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2000 15:31:04
"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:

>The only real advantage of a metadaemon is it lets you automatically
>restart daemons that crash, but in my opinion, that's a crock. You
>should make sure the daemons don't crash in the first place. Sure
>enough, under NetBSD and similar systems, it is very rare to see
>daemons crash, but under AIX, it happened all the time...

The other problem is that it (and all other watchdog schemes based
on the process running) give a false sense of security, as sometimes
daemons don't crash, they just stop responding.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==