Subject: Re: run levels (was Re: The new rc.d stuff...)
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2000 10:22:50
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no> writes:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
>
> > Given rcorder, we've substantially improved on the original idea.
>
> Is this something no UNIX had before NetBSD?

I thought of rcorder and wrote the code about two years ago, when I
gave it to Matt (who gave it to Luke). It is possible that the idea
appeared earlier than that in another OS, but I'm not consciously
aware of it.

> A few months ago, when I first suggested that something like rcorder
> be added to the system, my suggestion included a related feature that
> I still think would be a good idea: make it possible to run an rc.d
> script to shut down a service, and have everything that depends on
> that service (or on something that depends on it) be stopped first.

The current shutdown system has a primitive version of this -- it
reverses the order of the rc scripts. If you can come up with a
cleaner/better mechanism that actually tracks what is up and what
depends on what, I'm sure people would like it, or at least like to
evaluate it...

--
Perry Metzger		perry@piermont.com