Subject: Re: New NCR driver
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2000 11:44:57
On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 09:33:25AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> 53c80 is a different beast than the 53c810 :-)  The amiga does have 53c710
> and 53c720 based cards, tho.  The latter should be pretty easy to support
> with the new driver.  The former will take a little more work.

I'm not convinced it is worth the hassle to merge in the 710... if it was
possible in a straightforward way, we'd done it when writing the '770
support.

('720,'770,and '8xx look all very similar; the only differences being
capabilities implemented (like wide scsi, maximum sync speed,
availability of on-chip script ram; and of course 8xx are PCI).

The '710 (and '700) chip looks similar to the later ones, and uses the same
script processing language, but does not have some registers, and has some
others in a different place. Among them is the _chip version field_, which
tells you (for the later ones) the capabilities available (max. speed, etc.).

What definitely should be done is to bus_dmaify the 710 driver and use a common
one between Amiga and VME machines (I think). I only need a volunteer to do
this.

Regards,
	Ignatios