Subject: Re: 1.4.2: dump taking forever
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/2000 13:20:27
> > I build -current's dump and it ran last night.  As far as I can tell
> > rcache.c:bread() is in an infinite loop.  This file is new since 1.3.x
>
> Arg, I'm the one who added this :(

Cool - then you probably know what should be happening.
I'll mail you some gdb output if you don't mind taking a look.

> 'gcc -g -O0' ?

I've always avoided this.  I recall stallman saying (many years ago)
that it was better to use -O than not as the compiler got far more
testing with the optimizer so he was more confident of the code.
In this case it does not matter.  Moving the var definitions to the
function scope did the trick.

> I've been running this version of dump on various amanda clients (1.3.x and
> 1.4.x ) without troubles ...

Its working fine on all my other filesystems too.  But this one -
where $HOME is has not been backed up since I upgraded from 1.3.2
so I'm getting worried.

--sjg