Subject: Re: hpt366 anyone?
To: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/17/2000 10:58:58
At 10:11 AM 4/17/00 +0100, Roger Brooks wrote:
>However, please read the warning in the message from my original posting
>anout PCI bus speeds other than 33 MHz (although I don't think you can
>run a BP6 with any other PCI bus clock).

I thought that the PCI bus clock was always either 1/3 or 1/2 of the FSB
clock (depending on whether it's closer to 100Mhz or 66Mhz), meaning that
any time you set the BIOS to a clock frequency other than 100 or 66, the
PCI clock would be at something other than 33Mhz. For example, I usually
run my BP6 FSB at 82Mhz (yielding 451Mhz from 366Mhz-rated parts), so my
FSB would be 41Mhz (I think the switchover to 1/3-FSB happens at a higher
speed). Note that running at this speed gives me problems with some PCI
peripherals (in particular, all vintages of NetGear FA310-TX), a good
indicator that the PCI clock is modified.

(note that I haven't tried the HPT366 controller under NetBSD yet.)