Subject: Re: LFS
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: IWAMOTO Toshihiro <iwamoto@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/2000 17:10:00
At Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:49:09 +0200,
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 11:55:30PM +0900, IWAMOTO Toshihiro wrote:
> > Does anyone have a stable LFS partition?
>
> I do. I'm using LFS for /usr/src and didn't have problems since a fixed a
> bug in long symlink handling a few weeks ago.

Hearing several successful reports with LFS, I suspect my unstableness
of LFS is due to a misplaced local patch in lfs_truncate(),
which was intended to fix mmap problem to make emacs buildable in LFS.
I disabled this modification and LFS seems to be much more stable.
I'll send-pr this mmap problem shortly.

> > I've been trying to use LFS recently, but from my experience,
> > LFS has a very short MTBF, ranging from hours to weeks.
>
> What's you pattern usage ?

I use LFS to keep object directory with /usr/src in a FFS partition.
If ld(1) uses ftruncate to increse filesize or lseek beyond filesize,
I must have been bitten by my misplaced patch.

--
IWAMOTO Toshihiro