Subject: Re: com_cardbus.c
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/2000 18:33:50
Ken Hornstein writes:
> >Generally CardBus doesn't seem to be very popular, and since laptops
>
> Is that really true?  I hadn't done a formal survey, but I thought
> all new laptops come with CardBus (it was certainly available on my
> low-end Vaio two years ago).

I took this to mean that CardBus doesn't seem to be very popluar for
_serial devices_ rather than in general.  I would imagine the companies
don't want to build two products when PCCARD is fast enough for their
modem.  Who would want to build a CardBus only modem and cut themselves
off from a bigger customer base with just PCCARD?

I don't know if that is what the original author meant, but you're
right, it seems like most new laptops have cardbus.  At the "big name"
ones that I am somewhat familiar with.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.