Subject: Re: 13apr2000 /usr/src/usr.sbin/pppd/pppd/Makefile oddity
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/2000 21:12:42
On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 02:58:57PM +0200, Sean Doran wrote:
> | 	USE_INET6 is only for pkgsrc.  since we ship userland in binary form,
> | 	we need to always enable IPv6 for userland (otherwise, users would
> | 	need to recompile the whole userland when he turns on IPv6).
>
> What about users who do not want the overhead of IPv6, or who,
> for other reasons, want an IPv4-only kernel+userland?

Most programs dont need lots of overhead for IPv6. It boils down to a few
lines in the resolver routines and in bind (most of which must be in there
to not choke on Ipv6 information, anyway!), and a bit more for some
specialized programs.

As for the kernel: you can build an IPv4-only kernel without problems,
I think.

	-is