Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2000 23:48:40
On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# Disk bloat is the least of the issues here -- having 50,000 specialized
# commands, none of which do what you want, is the problem.  People who
# want/have to use Unix at the command line must learn to use tools.  One
# tool for one job.

Greg, you have just *perfectly* illustrated the points that I and others
have been making, regarding separate / and /usr, regarding not dumbing
down the rc stuff to the idiot level, regarding quite a few things actually.
Thank you for reinforcing a pragmatic point of view.

(I hope someone is archiving this...)

"Learn to use tools."

The only thing I disagree with is the "one tool for one job."  UNIX'
philosophy has typically been that there is more than one way to skin
a cat, if you will.

# Proliferation of a zillion new commands and options
# is a far worse kind of bloat than any waste of bits.  Raise your hands
# everyone who likes AIX and all the command-line tools it has to munge
# secret databases it uses for configuration.....)

Kill AIX before it multiplies.  Yes, I agree with this evaluation.

				--*greywolf;
--
                 A _Real_ Operating System for _Real_ Hackers.

                 With many thanks to the core team and UCB CSRG.