Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupp <rupp@chello.at>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2000 23:09:32
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Will /usr fit if you don't install comp, games, man, etc.?

Maybe. What is the gain? As it is now, I can get the machine up
standalone if I need, and everything for /usr is in one place,
identical for all machines and easy to maintain.

> Can you net-boot that machine?
Yes, it's working, but so slow you want to avoid it like the plague.

> Which is faster at filesystem accesses and at swap accesses:
>  NFS or the RD53?
The RD53. I have not measured that, though, so that statement may be
biased by my dislike of several minute long boots over the network.
Swap is definitely faster locally, the NFS server does not like three
machines swapping to it.

I still fail to see the light why /usr on root gives me an advantage.

Wolfgang