Subject: Re: krb5 and krb4, revisited
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/2000 02:12:12
On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 04:42:32PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <20000408150616.C18817@ozymandias.kublai.com>, Aidan Cully writes:
> >The krb5 kinit in NetBSD does not have support for running against a
> >krb4 KDC.  Sorry.
>
> I eventually figured this out.  Is this a never-to-be-available feature, or
> a not-implemented-yet feature?

'Never' is a very long time... sort of.  It's something I'd like to see
happen, but there's a few other things I'm working on, including a huge
amount of non-NetBSD stuff, so unless someone else does something with
it, don't expect to see it too soon.

What *could* be done in the short term, is something like
.if defined(KERBEROS5)
PROG=kinit4
SRCS=kinit.c
.else
PROG=kinit
.endif
in crypto-us/usr.bin/kinit/Makefile, which would install krb4's kinit
as kinit4...  I have to admit being a bit worried, though, about
installing two kinits, kdestroys, and klists...  I think it'd become
very easy for people to forget to run kdestroy4 after running kdestroy,
and stuff like that.

But you can do something like this yourself, if you want to...
cd /usr/src/crypto-us/usr.bin/kinit && make && cp kinit /usr/bin/kinit4,
and likewise for kdestroy and klist.

--aidan