Subject: Re: Strange X11 keyboard problem (was: Re: kernel build failure 4/1/2000)
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@pdc.kth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/2000 23:40:44
Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com> writes:

> On 3 Apr 2000, Johan Ihren wrote:
>
> # PS. Short summary of our keyboard problem:
> # ...

Sort summary of present status: yes, yes, yes! Two days with only one
keyboard hang (down from once every ten minutes). The guess from a
number of people about this being a fight between getty and the
Xserver seems to have been right on the spot. Thanks everyone.

And the one hang exhibited different characteristics than previously
(f.i. the Xserver didn't busy-wait on select()), so for the time being
I regard that as a one-time thingy.

> "I, too."

> # * Intermittently the keyboard "hangs". Only in X mode.  Most often the
> #   "hang" implies "no input", but sometimes it hangs in an endless
> #   repeat of the last key pressed. Shooting down the X server (from
> #   another machine) fixes it (at a certain cost). When "dead" switching
> #   virtual terminal doesn't work (no surprise).
>
> Do you ever run into the problem where you don't appear to be switching
> to a different VT, but you are?  i.e. you hit return, and your screen
> decides to scroll sideways about 1/3 (possibly shifting its colormap!)
> each time you cause the text screen to scroll by a line.

No, I'm happy to say that I haven't seen that...

Regards,

Johan Ihrén, <johani@pdc.kth.se>,
phone: +46 (8) 790 6844, Center for Parallel Computers,
Royal Institute of Technology, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden