Subject: my wavelans hate my toshiba laptop...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/2000 22:33:23
Folks,
        I am the happy recipient of some wavelan silver wireless lan
cards.  The unfortunate thing is that they hate my Toshiba Tecra 700CT
laptop.  The wavelans work fine in my PPro/200 machine via a
ISA->PCMCIA bridge card (one that comes with the WebGear cards FWIW)
but in the laptop the driver complains that it cannot get the MAC
address of the card like this:

Apr  2 19:24:09 rover /netbsd: pcmcia0: CIS info: Lucent Technologies,WaveLAN/IEEE, Version 01.01,
Apr  2 19:24:09 rover /netbsd: pcmcia0: Manufacturer code 0x156,product 0x2
Apr  2 19:24:09 rover /netbsd: pcmcia0: function 0: network adapter,ccr addr 3e0 mask 1
Apr  2 19:24:09 rover /netbsd: pcmcia0: function 0, config table entry1: I/O card; irq mask ffff; iomask 6, iospace 0-3f; io16 irqpulse irqlevel
Apr  2 19:24:09 rover /netbsd: wi0 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x380-0x3bf: could not get mac address, attach failed

I did some digging in the if_wi.c and found that by putting some
delays around the register writes in wi_read_record I can get a mac
address back after a couple of goes which makes me wonder if there is
some odd timing problem with my laptop.  Do I hack the driver to put
delays around all the register reads/writes?  Any one got a better
idea?

BTW I have tried loading up the guff on my NT machine to try and
re-flash the cards but NT now does a BSOD soon after boot....sigh.