Subject: NetBSD and GCC 3.0...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/2000 14:02:30
Hello,

I have heard from several people that 2.95.x is not expected to be in a
NetBSD 1.5 release due to stability problems. Does anyone have an idea
as to when a new version of gcc will be showing up in NetBSD-current?

On March 17, 2000 the gcc home page (http://gcc.gnu.org) was updated to
say that a new release manager has been appointed for the 3.0 release
of gcc. IMHO, it seems like it might be a good idea to pick up the source
for gcc 3.0 after the next release of NetBSD (1.5?), work out the
stability problems for the different platforms NetBSD runs on, and
contribute those changes back to the gcc development. Depending on what
the release schedule is like for gcc 3.0, perhaps whatever stability
problems exist with the current gcc sources could be fixed before a formal
gcc 3.0 release. Comments anyone?

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, Inc.                | Voice    : +1 763 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 763 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |