Subject: Re: The new rc.d stuff...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/2000 14:27:21
On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 12:26:15PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> >> [...rc.conf...]
> On ..., Thor wrote:
> > With rc.conf, and the old mechanism, I could completely configure a
> > system from a bare prototype by editing *one* file.  (Well, two,
> > actually, because of resolv.conf, but that's a minor nit).
>
> Wow.  I found I need to edit seven files and fix a symlink:
	That depends on how much configuring you want to do before
considering a system done.  Nevertheless, even with everything
on your list it's still better than editing `ls /etc/rc.d|wc -l`
files and _much_ easier to see what is actually going to start.
	I like the rc.d stuff as a way to easily drop in new things
to start and as a great way to make sure things run when they're
supposed to without having to worry about the precise order.
However, it's nice to be able to see and control what runs from
one place.

eric

(hmm.. rc.{local.}conf seems to be more of an overall "what runs"
config, while the other config files are more of a
"_how_ does this particular program run" spec)