Subject: Re: The new rc.d stuff...
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/2000 19:15:28
Robert Elz writes:
>   | then the flags in the file override /etc/rc.conf
>
> Which has what purpose left exactly?   To define rc_configured ?

PATH, RC_PATH (if we go that route), rc_configured (if we keep that),
and other `global' type stuff.

I'm compiling up a proposal covering these ideas on replacing rc.conf.

NOTE: at the time I put rc.d in I knew that rc.conf needed work. However,
I figured it was easier to break up the work into chunks:
	* ability to start/stop individual daemons/programs/processes,
	  and control the ordering using rcorder.
	* allow for (automatic) addition/removal of third party
	  scripts, including taking into account the potential namespace
	  conflict issues
	* enhancing the configuration mechanism (rc.conf) to support
	  the point above.
The first has been done. It's time to solve the last two points.