Subject: Re: The new rc.d stuff...
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/2000 08:47:29
On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 11:33:33PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:

> I sure hope that "/usr/pkg" is not hard-coded in (HINT!).

I hadn't thought about this. I'll make it dynamic.

> I don't have a /usr/pkg.  I have a /usr/local. And, as I've discovered,
> I'm not the only one who works in this fashion.

Yeah. I used to do it, when the package system was new and /usr/pkg seemed
strange to me.

> We need to do something to shorten that pipeline.
>
> 	ps ax | awk '$0 ~ /afpd/ && $0 !~ /awk/ {print $1}' |
> 		xargs -n 1 kill
>
> or,
>
> 	ps axc | awk '$0 ~ /afpd/ {print $1}' | xargs -n 1 kill
>
> You see, we're forgetting how to do this already! :-)

I need to learn more awk. I've never progressed beyond the "splitting
columns" stage.

Anyway, several folks have made a bunch of relevant suggestions, so I'm
going to implement all of them and then see if it would be cool with folks
if I actually commit the script. The script in question has nothing to do
with reality at the moment - it exists in your mail and my /etc/rc.d.

I assume for now that this sort of thing would have to go right in
/etc/rc.d - I'll ask in tech-pkg, but I don't remember
${LOCALBASE}/etc/rc.d being supported as yet, although I would imagine
that support for it would be a really trivial, with the only interesting
bit being determining whether ${LOCALBASE}/etc/rc.d is a link, seeing
as how we by definition won't have /usr yet. Uh... Never mind. That
brings up another kettle o' fish... /usr must be mounted before
anything in it can be accessed anyway, so /usr/whatever/etc/rc.d
*can't* be used by /etc/rc.

--
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  If a cow laughed, would
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  milk come out her nose?