Subject: Re: Linux X servers?
To: None <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2000 09:22:05
Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> Is is possible to run a Linux or FreeBSD X server on NetBSD/i386?

Yes. I had to use a Linux X server for the ATI Rage 128 in this machine
for a while until in-tree support appeared in XFree86.

From memory, you need to set up a bunch of symlinks in /emul/linux/dev:

	tty0 -> /dev/ttyEcfg
	tty1 -> /dev/ttyE0
	tty2 -> /dev/ttyE1
	 etc, etc. I stopped at tty7 -> /dev/ttyE6

If you have a PS/2 mouse, you should set the Protocol entry to "busmouse"
and the Device to /dev/pms0 in /etc/XF86Config. The Linux Xservers won't
understand the "wsmouse" protocol present in NetBSD.

This should get things more or less working. The only problem I noticed
was that I couldn't switch back from the Xserver to a wscons console
(ie. CTRL-ALT-Fx stopped working.)

Cheers, Steve