Subject: webgear aviator pcmcia card fails to attach
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/24/2000 14:21:42
Folks,
        I have been loaned a couple of webgear aviator 2.4 wireless
lan cards to see what being cordless is like.  I have built up kernels
to support the cards and it looked like they almost got there:

Mar 23 18:27:56 rover /netbsd: pcmcia0: CIS version PCMCIA 2.0 or 2.1
Mar 23 18:27:56 rover /netbsd: pcmcia0: CIS info: WebGear, PC Card WLAN Adapter, Version 4.88 Jan 1999
Mar 23 18:27:56 rover /netbsd: pcmcia0: Manufacturer code 0x1a6, product 0x0
Mar 23 18:27:57 rover /netbsd: pcmcia0: function 0: network adapter, ccr addr f00 mask b
Mar 23 18:27:57 rover /netbsd: pcmcia0: function 0, config table entry 1: I/O card; irq mask ffb8; memspace 0-bfff; mwait_required irqlevel
Mar 23 18:27:57 rover /netbsd: ray0 at pcmcia0 function 0: WebGear, PC Card WLAN Adapter, Version 4.88 Jan 1999
Mar 23 18:27:57 rover /netbsd: : can't alloc shared memory

The last line there looks like the attach failed to work correctly, of
course, there is no ray0 in my ifconfig :-(  I have updated my kernel
sources to ones that are a couple of days old but the same thing still
happens.  This happens both on my laptop and my base machine (the base
machine uses a ISA-PCMCIA bridge card).  All machines are i386
architecture.  Any hints on what I can do?

Finally, when I tried to hot-swap the wavelan out of my laptop the
kernel paniced.  I suppose that was due to the card being not properly
attached and something not being cleaned up correctly on failure.