Subject: Re: /etc/path.conf?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/2000 15:55:33
Andrew Gillham  (gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com) wrote:

>How do other people add things to a system wide path?  Do you just
>edit /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/profile for each addition/subtraction?

Personally I hate it when a SysAdmin starts throwing everything but the
kitchen sink at me with system-wide configuration files.  Most of my
.cshrc files on systems I don't contronl involve trying to undo all this
stuff so I have a workable configuration that matches the man pages on
the system I'm using.  It's far to easy for this sort of thing to quickly
get out of hand.  You should see how long it takes me to log into my VMS
account at work, and how many Logicals, Symbols and such I have defined
that I have absoutely no earthly use for.

But this is just one user's opinion.

-bob